Thursday, September 6, 2007

I'm Sick Again

This week started to be a little bit cold here. It is sunny but it is windy too at the same time. When the temperature is like this, my lips gets dry and I get colds. I don’t like it when I’ve got colds because I don’t like to take medicines. I don’t like how it taste. Yes, I am like a kid but I prefer to suffer than to take medicines. Even if the tablet is very tiny, it is very, very difficult for me to swallow it. I don’t know why I’m like that but we are all unique. I am unique pero medyo weird nga lang ;-p. I am a little bit careful because I pick up a small kid at the school everyday and I don’t want her to get sick as well. But it seems like it’s the contrary, she has colds first and then me. I am quite sensitive when it comes to dust or when I see someone doing accho or something. The weakest part of my body has always been my nose because I easily get colds or flu. But I will surely be on a rest during the weekend. Let me share you what I found about colds:

What is a cold?

A cold is a contagious respiratory infection that is caused by a virus. More than 200 different viruses can cause colds.

What are the symptoms of a cold?
-Runny nose
-Sneezing
-Cough
-Sore throat
-Headache
-Nasal congestion
-Fever may be present, especially in children

These symptoms usually occur two to three days after infection and will usually end in seven to 10 days.

How are colds treated?
There is no cure for a cold, but getting enough rest is the best way to make a quick recovery. Several remedies may shorten a cold’s duration and help you feel better. Talk with your doctor before taking any medication or giving medication to your child.

Over-the-counter cold medications may relieve the symptoms of a cold. However, the benefits of these medications are minimal.

Some of these medications include the following:
-Acetaminophen relieves the aches and pains of a cold without upsetting the stomach.
-Aspirin should not be given to children under the age of 18 because of its link to Reye’s Syndrome, a disorder that mostly affects children 4 to 12 years old and causes brain damage and death.
-Decongestants relieve nasal congestion.
-Antihistamines are used to stop a runny nose and sneezing.
-Cough suppressants may diminish a cough in adults, but these medications have not been found to be beneficial for children.
-Expectorants loosen mucous so that it can be easily expelled.
-Drinking plenty of fluids will keep the nose and throat moist and will loosen mucous. Stay away from alcohol and caffeine because they have a drying effect.

How can you keep from getting a cold?
-Wash your hands--especially before eating and preparing food, after using the bathroom, after wiping your nose, and after coming in contact with someone who has a cold.
-Avoid touching your eyes and nose to prevent the spread of viruses from your hands.
-Avoid contact with those who have a cold.
-Clean frequently used surfaces (such as doorknobs) with a virus-killing disinfectant.
-Use hand sanitizers when water is not available.
-Get enough sleep, eat a healthy diet, and exercise. This will strengthen your immune system and enable you to fight off infections easier.

When does a cold require a doctor’s care?
Contact your doctor if you have any of the following:

-High fever
-Chest pain
-Greenish mucous
-Ear pain
-An asthma flare-up

You may also have a bacterial infection, which can be diagnosed and treated by your doctor. Children with colds should be watched closely, and a doctor should be contacted if children have a high fever, are wheezing, are not eating, are sleepier than usual, cry a lot, or have ear or stomach pain.

No comments: