Tuesday, August 21, 2007

He Said It's Yummy!!!

Last sunday was a little bit cold here. The weather was bad again and we woke up very late during that day. Hubby and I were very lazy so we decided to watch football match on the TV. While he was watching his tv program, I decided to prepare a special dinner for him and to cook shrimps. He loves seafoods in general. I don't cook that much but when I do, I want it to be tasty and special. I love to cook for my family and for hubby. Do I sound romantic? hehehe I tell you, I am not a good cook but I am learning from cooking books and recipes online. I am really a hardheaded woman. Mostly of the times, I don't use all the ingredients written. I didn't use green pease in this recipe ;-p...but the shrimps were still tasty and hubby loved it. Imagine, we both ate the whole 500 g of shrimps hehehe. Please take a look at the recipes below:

Strawberry Tarte for dessert

The ingredients (opps, I forgot the green peas). Egg is not in the picture


Finish product


Stir-fried Shrimps With Vegetables

Ingredients:
250 gm raw shrimps or prawns - peeled and deveined
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cooking wine
1/2 egg white - slightly beaten
3/4 Tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup oil2 Tbsp water
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup onion - roughly chopped
1/4 cup diced button mushrooms
1/4 cup green peas


*Sauce:
2 Tbsp water
1/3 tsp salt
1 tsp cornstarch
dash of sesame oil
freshly ground black pepper


1. Mix the sauce first - in a bowl, combine all the sauce ingredients, stirring to dissolve the salt and cornstarch. Set aside.
2. In another bowl, dissolve the salt in the cooking wine. Mix this with the shrimps. Add in the egg whites, mix well. Then the cornstarch, mix well again. Set aside and marinate for about 15 minutes.
3. Add 1 Tbsp oil to the shrimp mixture and mix well (to make it separate easily).
4. Heat wok and the oil in medium heat.
5. Fry the shrimps in the wok until just cooked and changes colour (about 3 minutes). Remove and drain on absorbent paper towels.

NOTE: Do not use the marinate mixture anymore (it's my fault coz I used it)when frying the shrimps.

6. Remove the oil from wok but retain 2 Tbsp in it. Heat the wok again.
7. Stir fry the onion until fragrant.
8 Mix in the carrots, mushrooms, and green peas. Stir fry for a few seconds.
9. Add the water and cook in medium heat until the liquid has completely evaporated and the vegetables are cooked. If it dries up too easily, add more water but only a little at a time.
10. Turn up heat to high and add the fried shrimps. Stir fry for a few seconds.
11. Add the sauce mixture and stir fry quickly to mix. Remove from wok onto a platter and serve.

No comments: