Thursday, August 23, 2007

Sore Throat

In stock medicine kept by hubby all the time
These last days has been very cold. It's always raining and it's cold. I started to have a sore throat when this kind of climate started. I don't know if it's allergy or something but I always have a sore throat when the weather is really, really bad here and cold. In general, I don't like medics. Even back in PI I don't take any medicines when sick. I don't like how it taste like at all and it is very hard for me to swallow any tablets or capsules. Even the tiniest tablet is very difficult for me to take it. When I told hubby that my throat is a little bit painful, he gave me this medicine and when I opened it up, OMG it is really big. I asked him how will I manage to swallow it but he told me to try it and I will be surprise how it taste like. I was a little bit hesitant at first but after first try, I like it because it's fresh on the mouth and it taste like a candy.
But anyways, I made a research about sore throat and here's what I found:
What causes a sore throat?

A sore throat can have many causes including:

Common viruses, and even the viruses that cause mononucleosis (mono) and the flu, can cause a sore throat. Some viruses can also produce blisters in the mouth and throat ("aphthous stomatitis").
Breathing through the mouth can produce throat dryness and soreness.
Sinus drainage (post nasal drip) may cause a sore throat.
A sore throat can also be caused by bacteria. The two most common bacteria to cause a sore throat are Streptococcus and Arcanobacterium haemolyticum. Arcanobacterium causes sore throats mainly in young adults and is sometimes associated with a fine red rash.
Sore throat appearing after treatment with antibiotics, or other immune-compromising medications may be due to Candida.
What can I do at home for a sore throat?

Generally, sore throats must run their course (exception, strep throat will be addressed below.)

- Salt water gargles, hard candies, sprays for example, Chloraseptic) and lozenges can provide temporary pain relief. (Caution: Lozenges and hard candy are a choking hazard for children. Avoid their use in young children.)
- A humidifier may be helpful in relieving symptoms, especially in sore throats caused by mouth breathing and dry air.
- Acetaminophen or ibuprofen may help control the pain.
- For adults, if your nose is plugged, nasal sprays such as Afrin may be used for two to three days to prevent mouth breathing. It is NOT a good idea to use these products for more than a couple of days; you may become dependent on them.
- Other decongestant products, such as Sudafed, may be helpful.

No comments: